Wild mushrooms have been popping up in SouthCoast neighborhoods as a result of all the rain we have been experiencing for the past few weeks. While store-bought mushrooms are tasty for humans and pets, wild mushrooms are a cause for concern for your four-legged friends. The Missing Dogs of Massachusetts issued a warning recently to keep your dogs at bay from this enticing fungus.

Missing Dogs of Massachusetts (MDM) is an all-volunteer, 501c3 non-profit organization devoted to improving the reunion rate of lost and found dogs in the state of Massachusetts. It shared online how members have recently heard several sad stories recently involving dogs ingesting toxic mushrooms.

WFHN-FM/FUN 107 logo
Get our free mobile app

“Some survived after undergoing expensive vet care and some were not so lucky,” the organization reported.

It went on to explained that the influx of rain has made it ideal conditions for wild mushrooms to thrive, leading dogs to investigate this new sight in their backyards.

MDM explained that “depending on the type of mushroom and the size of your dog, it may not take much to cause some serious harm.”

Signs of mushroom toxicity can begin in as little as 15 minutes or as far out at 12 hours from time of ingestion.

The organization lists the following as some common symptoms of mushroom toxicity:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Tremors or seizures

The ASPCA Poison Control Center does not list mushrooms as harmful to dogs. In fact, store-bought mushrooms are perfectly fine, but it’s a good idea to stay away from wild mushrooms no matter how big or small your dog is.

MDM advises to “supervise your pets at all times and frequently check enclosed areas where your dog has access to remove any mushrooms that have grown.”

Let’s pray for sunny weather in the coming weeks so these mushrooms can no longer survive, and in the meantime, scour your lawns for fungus. Your dog will thank you.

LOOK: Here Are 30 Foods That Are Poisonous to Dogs

To prepare yourself for a potential incident, always keep your vet's phone number handy, along with an after-hours clinic you can call in an emergency. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center also has a hotline you can call at (888) 426-4435 for advice.

Even with all of these resources, however, the best cure for food poisoning is preventing it in the first place. To give you an idea of what human foods can be dangerous, Stacker has put together a slideshow of 30 common foods to avoid. Take a look to see if there are any that surprise you.

More From WFHN-FM/FUN 107