Embers Spark Fire at Two-Story Fairhaven Home
Discarded embers sparked a fire at a two-story Fairhaven home Tuesday night.
The still-burning campfire embers ignited the vinyl siding and fence of the 31 Point St. property around 9 p.m., traveling along the side of the house and entering the attic, according to the Fairhaven Fire Department.
Firefighters said they had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes and stayed on the scene for about two hours.
Get our free mobile app
The family, alerted to the fire by the scent of burning plastic, evacuated safely. No one was injured.
The fire department estimates damage between $10,000 and $20,000.
The Mattapoisett Fire Department provided mutual aid and Acushnet Fire Department provided station coverage during the incident.
Inside New Bedford's Capitol Theater
New Bedford's long-dormant Capitol Theater is set to undergo a $6 million restoration project that will convert the former movie house into a mixed-use facility. Here's how it looks today.
WARNING: Under no circumstances should you enter this property. By doing so you risk bodily harm and/or prosecution for trespassing on private property.