Call for Young Artists to Participate in Ignite Showcase on the SouthCoast
I am not an artist. Unless stick figures count as “art” and even then, I’m no Picasso. But I do appreciate art. And finding out that there is a youth showcase of art scheduled on the SouthCoast is exciting.
“Organizing New Bedford: Women Who Mobilized Change” is a new digital exhibit through the New Bedford Whaling Museum that features seven women from “Lighting the Way: Historic Women of the SouthCoast.” According to a recent press release, there has been a call for young artists to use this digital exhibit as inspiration to ignite interest in the impact of women from the region through original art projects.
“Original works of art are being solicited that highlight the themes, accomplishments, or stories amplified through the stories of Organizing New Bedford: Women Who Mobilized Change. Art that is chosen to be a part of the Ignite Showcase will be shared at a virtual showcase on Thursday, April 22 at 7 pm.”
According to the release, all of the pieces included in the showcase will be eligible for a gift card to The White Whale, the Whaling Museum’s gift shop. “Selected pieces may be featured on the Lighting the Way website or other Lighting the Way materials, and winners’ artwork also may be printed on postcards. Pieces selected will be chosen based on connection to the story of the woman (or women) selected, the creativity, and originality.”
If you are between the ages of 12 and 22 and would like to participate, follow these steps:
- Visit Organizing New Bedford: Women Who Mobilized Change and read through the six stories.
- [Optional] Watch videos HERE to receive guidance about the online exhibit and ideas for creating artworks.
- Choose one or more of the women to be your inspiration.
- Respond to the themes, accomplishments, or stories amplified by creating artwork.
- Write your artist statement.
- Take a photo of your artwork.
- Submit your entry HERE by midnight on March 31.
- If your piece is selected to be exhibited at the Ignite showcase, you’ll be notified by April 16
- Plan to attend the virtual showcase presentation on Thursday, April 22 at 7 pm.
All submissions must include the following:
- Completed submission form HERE
- Include your Artist Statement
- Two or three paragraphs describing yourself
- Your approach to the project
- How your artwork connects to a story from “Organizing New Bedford: Women Who Mobilized Change”
- Your original artwork can be a drawing, painting, collage, digital artwork, or photography.
- Include a high-quality photo of the artwork as a digital file in JPG.
- Check the settings on your camera (phone/camera) and set it to the highest quality that you can.
Here are the important dates related to the contest:
- Now through March 31: Watch instructional videos HERE (optional)
- March 31: Submission deadline for all entries
- April 16: Artists selected to be included on the showcase are notified
- April 22: Ignite virtual showcase takes place online
If you have any questions, you can contact Cathy Saunders, the Lighting the Way Coordinator at email@example.com.