10 Tips for Farmer’s Market First-Timers
If you're a newbie to the whole farmer's market scene, like me, you might want to check out some of these helpful tips!
After doing some research, I collected some advice that I thought seemed helpful to those thinking about buying at a local farmer's market. I'll definitely use these tips when I go so I don't look like too much of a rookie!
Here's what I've learned so far:
1. Dress for the occasion. You're going to be outside, walking around in the heat...so dress like it!
2. Apparently, some vendors offer free samples! Always, ALWAYS get the free samps.
3. Bring small bills. Most vendors can't make change for that $100 bill that's been sitting in your wallet since last Christmas.
4. It's best to get there early if you want to get the freshest of the fresh.
5. Yes, it's going to be a little more expensive that a grocery store, but it's going to be A LOT more healthy!
6. Be considerate when trying to negotiate. This is how people are making a living, after all!
7. Farmers genuinely want to talk to you about their product and answer any questions you may have.
8. Go into the farmer's markets with your needs in mind. Know what meals you're going to cook for the week and shop for that. That way, you don't waste anything!
9. Know what's in season!
10. Some of the vendors aren't necessarily the growers, they're only retailers. It's important to get your facts straight before buying.
And there you have it! Now take these tips, go out shopping and find out some of your own!