Register for Free Youth United Summer Program in New Bedford
New Bedford Parks, Recreation & Beaches is holding a free summer program for city youth. ‘Youth United’ started on Tuesday, July 7, and activities will run through Thursday, August 20. Specifically designed for kids between the ages of nine and 17, this is a safe and fun way to keep your kids active this summer.
Due to COVID 19, some changes have been made to the Youth United Summer Program, such as limiting class size. Parents can register their children online HERE if space allows.
Here are the details for each free activity included in the program:
- Speed/Agility for Flag Football - Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 10:15 am at Riverside Park. This is designed for athletes at any level. Coach Norm Meltzer is the Strength Coach at New Bedford High School and he leads participants in drills to improve forward, backward, lateral, and non-linear movement along with plyometrics. Tempo, rhythm, fast feet, acceleration, deceleration, and change of direction are all covered.
- Fitness Fun with Tim Alfonso - Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 10:15 a.m. at Ashley Park. Tim Alfonso is the Physical Education Teacher with New Bedford Public Schools. Your child can learn about keeping their body healthy through activities, games, and exercise.
- Kids Yoga with Vineeta Singh - Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. at Ashley Park. Vineeta Singh, ‘The Yoga guru.’ This program is an introduction into the world of Yoga in a fun, engaging way. Please bring your own mat or towel.
- Kids Martial Arts 101 - Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. at Riverside Park. World Champion Donna Bosworth! Keep your child safe. Students will have fun learning a variety of skills to protect themselves from strangers and bullies while experiencing different forms of martial arts.
- Space Lab Online - This is a special week-long session for grades K-5 that runs from Monday, July 27 through Friday, July 31. This Zoom class will take place from 2 to 4:15 pm. Design a 3D model of our solar system, build a model satellite, and learn the forces of space flight, alien atmospheres, and constellations. Construct a balloon-powered rover & explore a rocky planet. Out of this world fun!
- Virtual Program - Technology Exploration! - This is a special week-long session for grades 2-8 that runs from Monday, August 10 through Friday, August 14. This Zoom class will take place from 1 to 4 pm. This session is brought to you by Empow Studios. Kids explore Video Game Design, Digital Animation, Stop-Motion Animation, EV3 Robotics, 3D Art & Printing, 3D Architecture, Digital Audio Production, and Coding/Programming Fundamentals in Scratch & Python!
David Ponte is the director of the program and he is eager to welcome new students and athletes for these free, fun activities. “Come get a great experience with our awesome coaches!"
Your Complete Guide to Outdoor Dining on the SouthCoast in 2020
Enter your number to get our free mobile app