New Bedford Man Arrested in Connection With May 23 Shooting
NEW BEDFORD (WBSM) — A New Bedford man has been arrested in connection with a shooting last month in the city.
According to New Bedford Police, detectives arrested Ivanildo Mendes Alves, 21, of Reynolds Street in New Bedford on June 8. His arrest was in connection with a May 23 incident in which shots were fired in the area of Reynold Street and Cedar Grove.
Police were alerted to the shots fired by a ShotSpotter activation at about 11 p.m. that night. They arrived and found shell casings in the street, according to police.
The resulting investigation, headed by Detectives Timothy Soares and Jordan Ferreira, led to a warrant issued for Alves.
“It was learned that on that evening, Alves fired shots from the porch of his residence at a victim who was on the sidewalk,” police said. “Fortunately, the victim was not injured.”
Alves was taken into custody June 8 by New Bedford Police detectives and Massachusetts State Police troopers assigned to the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section.
Police said a search of his residence also turned up ammunition.
Alves is charged with assault with intent to murder; possessing, carrying, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building; and possession of ammunition.
According to Mass.gov, he was already on probation for a crime committed while he was a juvenile and has a hearing on June 16 regarding violation of his parole in Bristol County Juvenile Court.
“These cases can be difficult to investigate. It takes the full attention of every officer involved, from the first patrol unit on the scene to the detectives who follow up on each available lead,” New Bedford Police Chief Paul Oliveira said. “I'd like to thank everyone involved in bringing this dangerous offender into custody.”