New Bedford Police Arrest Second Suspect in Ben Rose Shooting
NEW BEDFORD (WBSM) — New Bedford Police have arrested a second person in connection with a shooting in the Ben Rose housing development.
South End units responded to a ShotSpotter activation at the development on September 6. The investigation led to the arrest on September 12 of Jonathan Ovalle, 20, of New Bedford. Ovalle is charged with allegedly firing shots at a passing vehicle. He is currently being held without bail.
According to police, Detective Roberto DaCunha determined Ovalle had been exchanging gunfire with a male in the passing vehicle who was later identified as Christopher Little, 18, of New Bedford. A warrant was then issued for Little’s arrest.
Police said Little was already under investigation for a September 5 incident in which he had been identified as one of several males who attacked a juvenile in the area of the Monte Park playground.
They said that during that incident, Little was seen on video that was shared to social media punching and kicking the juvenile as he lay on the ground.
Sgt. Bruce Szyndlar located Little in a vehicle with others on the afternoon of September 14 in the Blue Meadows housing development. Szyndlar removed Little from the vehicle, but Little then fled on foot through the development into the parking lot of a nearby business. There, he was taken into custody.
Police said a search of the vehicle led to the discovery of a loaded .380-caliber handgun with a defaced serial number on the floor under where Little was sitting.
The owner and operator of the vehicle, Shaundre Levy, 34, of New Bedford was also taken into custody.
Both Little and Levy are charged with carrying a loaded firearm with a defaced serial number. Little is also charged with discharging a firearm, destruction of property, carrying a loaded firearm, and attempted assault and battery by discharge for his role in the September 6 shooting.
“We take these crimes very seriously and place their investigation at a very high level of priority,” Police Chief Paul Oliveira said. “We would like to encourage the public to report anything that makes them feel unsafe in their community and partner with us in order to keep the city safe. I’m pleased that the investigation in this case yielded two suspects and that officers in the field were able to take them into custody safely.”