New Bedford Man Arrested and Charged in South End Shooting
NEW BEDFORD (WBSM) — A New Bedford man has been arrested and charged with a shooting last week in the city’s South End.
According to New Bedford Police, the arrest was in connection to a shooting that occurred on September 6 at around 1 p.m. in the area of the Ben Rose housing development.
Police responded to a ShotSpotter activation in the area, and bullet casings were discovered as well as damage to a nearby vehicle.
The investigation, led by Detective Roberto DaCunha, led to the discovery that Jonathan Ovalle, 20, of New Bedford allegedly fired two rounds from a handgun at a passing vehicle.
Police said there were no injuries to any of the occupants of the vehicle.
Police requested a warrant for Ovalle, and on the afternoon of September 12, police said he was located near his home and taken into custody without incident.
Ovalle has been charged with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building, carrying a loaded firearm without a license, destruction of property, and assault by means of a firearm.
He is currently being held without bail at the Bristol County House of Correction in Dartmouth.