There's a ton of stuff you can cook on the grill for the summer, chicken, steak, burgers, hotdogs, but not fish, especially sardines.

This weekend my mother-in-law visited and thought it'd be a good idea to bring over some frozen sardines for us to grill.  I knew these were going to stink, and they weren't prepared, so I was a little wary about cooking them, but I did anyway.

I decided to cook the other things first, and thank God I did, because we had a bit of an episode.

Now, I'm a pretty experienced griller but I usually cook prepared fish on the grill, as opposed to fish that just got snatched out of the ocean.  So I wasn't sure how long I should have left the fish on the grill so I kind of went off to talk to some people while the fish cooked on the grill.  Big mistake.

Out of corner of eye, I saw flames shooting out of the grill, and I thought "Oh that's nice," and I yelled to my wife Deb to get the fire extinguisher.  So we put out the fire, before it could spread and burn the house down.  It's amazing what a little bag of nonsense can do.

Lesson learned.  Never again will I cook again my mother-in-law brings over. She was more concerned about the status of the fish than my grill. Plus, if you ever have a grease fire, use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out the fire. NEVER use water.

Listen below to what a listener said about my grilling mishap.

More From WFHN-FM/FUN 107