Fall River Cafeteria Worker Saves Student From Choking
A Cafeteria worker at Samuel Watson Elementary in Fall River saved a young boy when he started to choking on his food.
Dominick Hernandez was eating nachos with his friends at lunch when he began choking. "I guess I didn't chew them right or something. A piece got stuck in my throat", says Hernandez recalling the incident in an interview. Cafeteria worker, Christine Saurette, heard a few of Hernandez's friends scream that he was choking and rushed to the scene.
I wasn't ready, I just did what I had to do. It's like intuition, I just ran over there. 'Cause everybody was just standing
"I wasn't ready, I just did what I had to do. It's like intuition, I just ran over there. 'Cause everybody was just standing...I didn't know who was choking so I looked and he was sitting at the table, like four kids in, and I ran over to him and I picked him up, gave him the Heimlich, like three or four thrusts. I talked in his ear and I said, 'can you breathe,' he said, 'yes, I can breathe,".
Hernandez and his family bought Saurette the lifesaver charm, Alex and Ani bracelet to show their graditiude. "I'll keep this forever" said Saurette.
Everyone at Watson Elementary School is now calling Saurette a hero.