How Dog Lovers Keep Their Pets Cool During the Heatwave This Weekend
photo cred:Sean Meehan
Common sense says to keep your fur babies inside air conditioned homes but what are some other things you can do to keep your dogs cool through the heatwave?
My little girl Jessie is a panting King Charles Cavalier. As soon as it starts to get warm in the late spring, the panting starts. Her only form of exercise is a walk aroud the neighborhood twice a day and some foolong around in the yard or in the house with us, just easy play time. But she still pants like crazy. She has a lot of hair and heats up fast so on days and weekend like this one, we try to keep her as relaxed and cool as possible. I came accross a website with some great tips. The Dog People at Rover.com have more good ideas on how to keep your pup as cool as you can on these hot summer days.
- Offer an ice pack or wet towel for them to lay on.
- Add ice cubes to their water dish.
- Offer access to a wading pool with shallow, cool water.
- Offer access to cool shade by stringing up a tarp, cloth, or use a shade screen. This would be ideal on the deck or back yard.
- If you have an active dog, bring a collapsible water dish on your walks.
- Avoid walking on hot pavement, and consider booties to insulate their toes. I've seen disturbing photos of dogs paws all blistered from walking on burning hot pavement.
- Early morning or evening playtimes, exercise, and walks are best, if it's a must.
- Give your dog some homemade frozen treats.
I especially like that last tip as a trip to Acushnet Creamery is always a treat for ALL of us, not just Jessie.🐶🍦😋