Fall River Family Gets Carbon Monoxide Scare
A Fall River family is breathing a sigh of relief this morning after a carbon monoxide scare over the weekend.
Stephen Davis told Fun 107 that he and his family were relaxing in their home over the holiday weekend when they heard an alarm sound that they had never heard before. Davis tracked it down to his carbon monoxide detector down in his cellar.
He said that he had just changed the batteries when the clocks fell back a few weeks ago. He changed the batteries again, put the carbon monoxide detector back in the cellar, then waited to see if it went off again.
Davis called 911 to let them know what was going on. The Fall River Fire Department showed up, and confirmed elevated levels of carbon monoxide coming from the cellar. The family was asked to evacuate the home until the CO could be cleared.
The cellar was vented and the gas company was called in. National Grid was able to pinpoint the exact location of the leak, which was in the boiler. The boiler was shut off, meaning that the family can go back into the home.
"We don't have heat," Davis joked, "but we also don't have carbon monoxide."
Davis says he shudders to think of what could have happened to his family had they not had the CO detector.