An 11-year-old child was injured in Dartmouth Saturday night after throwing a gasoline container into a campfire.
According to Dartmouth Police, officers, firefighters and EMS responded at about 9:20 p.m. on Saturday, April 2 to Collins Corner Road for a report of a child who had received multiple burns while standing next to a campfire.
Police said that upon investigation, it was determined the child received the burns after throwing a gasoline container into the fire, which then exploded.
Although none of the burns appeared life-threatening, police said, the child was taken to Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence for further evaluation.
Police are not revealing the child’s name or address.
“We are all very relieved that the incident did not turn out much worse, and we certainly hope that others can learn from this dire error in judgment,” Police Chief Brian P. Levesque said. “Should anyone have questions about campfire safety, I, along with my public safety partners, would encourage them to either contact their local fire department, or find information from credible online sources.”
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security is one resource for outdoor fire safety tips.