REMINDER: New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge Closing For Ten Days
NEW BEDFORD - Earlier this month, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation announced that the New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge will be closed for more than a week to undergo substantial repairs.
The closure of the bridge on Route 6 begins tonight, April 20, at 8 p.m. and will remain closed until Monday, April 30, at 6 a.m.
During the closure, numerous permanent repairs, including structural, substructure, and mechanical repairs to the bridge, will take place.
Drivers must seek alternate routes during the closure, and detour signs are posted.
The Route 6 detours are as follows:
Traveling East on Route 6 toward Fairhaven:
• Follow Route 6 Detour signage and take a left onto Pleasant Street;
• Take a right onto Hillman Street;
• Take a left onto the Route 18 North ramp;
• Follow Route 18 North to I-195 Eastbound;
• Take Exit 18 – Route 240 South/Fairhaven;
• Follow Route 240 South to Route 6.
Traveling West on Route 6 toward New Bedford:
• Follow Route 6 Detour signage and take a right onto Main Street;
• Take a left onto Howland Road and continue onto Coggeshall Street in New Bedford;
• Take a left onto Ashley Boulevard/Route 18 South;
• Follow Route 18 South to Route 6.
MassDOT advises motorists to expect delays and seek alternate routes during these times. The schedule for this work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.