Man’s Clothes Caught Fire in Mattapoisett Blaze
MATTAPOISETT — More details have emerged in the two-alarm Mattapoisett fire that destroyed a business just off Route 6 earlier this week — including the fact that three people were displaced, and an employee's clothes caught fire.
A release from the fire department described how the man used the "stop, drop and roll" method to put out the flames on his clothing, in the blaze that ravaged Mattapoisett Power Equipment on Monday.
The man was evaluated at the scene and did not need any medical treatment.
Three people — including two young children — have also been displaced in the fire, which began near a heater in the company's garage, according to the department.
The building, located at 3 Church Street Extension near Route 6, also includes residential units.
According to the department, the residential part was unoccupied at the time of the fire — but it was home to a father and his two young children.
Although the first fire engine arrived just two minutes after firefighters were called to the scene, heavy flames were already tearing through the garage, breezeway, and rear of the structure.
Three engines and a ladder truck from Mattapoisett, Marion, and Fairhaven Fire Departments assisted at the scene, while Rochester fire crews provided station coverage.
The Marion and Fairhaven Fire Chiefs also responded to the scene.
In around 50 minutes, the 22 firefighters brought the fire under control, according to the department's statement.
No injuries were reported.
The damage to the building is estimated at $300,000.
Later that same day, the Mattapoisett Fire Department moved out of its old fire station at 26 County Rd. and into new digs at 62 County Rd.