Fatal Kingston Fire Caused by Dropped Candle
Authorities have determined that a fatal fire in Kingston Saturday afternoon was caused by a dropped candle igniting the victim's clothing.
According to a release from State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey's office, the Kingston Fire Department responded to South Street at around 3 p.m. and found the female victim suffering from serious injuries. She was transported from the scene but eventually succumbed to her injuries.
Her name is being withheld pending full family notifications, according to the release.
The release stated, "While there was no structural damage, the investigation determined that the victim dropped a candle, which ignited her clothing and caused serious injuries that eventually claimed her life."
State Fire Marshal Ostroseky and Kingston Fire Chief Mark R. Douglass warned the public of the dangers of candle fires in the release.
“I’d like to express the deepest condolences of the Kingston Fire Department to the victim’s family,” Douglass said. “Remember that even a small flame can pose a fire and burn hazard. Always place a candle in a sturdy candleholder or nonflammable saucer on a solid, steady surface before you light it. Keep anything that can burn at least one foot away on all sides, and extinguish the flame before leaving the room or going to sleep. Even better, select battery-powered flameless candles, which offer the same soft light that traditional candles do.”
“If clothing ignites, it can cause terrible burns,” Ostroskey said. “When using candles or cooking on a stovetop, wear short or tightly-rolled sleeves so they don’t brush up against the flames. If clothing does catch fire, smother it rather than trying to run or bat it out. Remember to stop, drop, and roll, or cover the flames with a blanket, towel, or coat. Use cool water on the burn, and call 9-1-1 for medical help right away.”
Saturday's incident marked Massachusetts' first fatal candle fire since a Dec. 8, 2020 fire in Revere that claimed the life of one person, and injured two residents and a firefighter while causing $1.1 million in damage.