Holiday Wish Week: Domestic Violence Victim from Wareham [RECAP]
What a magical day it was for the United Way of Greater New Bedford Holiday Wish Campaign.
Today on Day Four, the Michael Rock Show introduced you to a victim of domestic violence whom we called "T" in order to protect her privacy and identity, as we discussed the issues that have been impacting her life.
She cares for her two younger children, both boys, and the three of them have been living in a homeless shelter since March. After a physical dispute between "T" and her ex, she was moved to a safe location where her and the boys will be spending Christmas this year.
This Christmas, the two little boys told the Michael Rock Show that they were looking for toys like Paw Patrol, Power Rangers, and tablets. Basically, anything that would make a three-year-old boy and a five-year-old boy happy, which isn't too hard to do at that age.
With a busy life as a single mom, "T" struggles everyday to make sure she keeps the spirits of her children as high as possible. It was a tough task, especially as they asked her questions like, "How will Santa find us if we are in a homeless shelter?"
We knew right away that we had to help this family, and give the two little boys a Christmas they'd never forget. Throughout the show, multiple local businesses and listeners called us to help out this family in need during tough times this holiday season:
- Dave Vermette - Vermette Development & Real Estate Corp. bought Boston Celtics tickets (donated by Turk's Seafood) for $1,000 (all proceeds going to "T" and her kids), plus an extra $500
- Wareham Nurse Midwives pledged $500
- Used Tire Warehouse pledged $500
- First Citizen's Federal Credit Union pledged $250
- Notre Dame Federal Credit Union called in and donated $250 and a personal donation from Ed of $100
- JC Penney in the Dartmouth Mall donated a bunch of toys for the kids and a salon day for "T"
- Diane and Claudia (Listeners) together donated $150.00.
- Dulce (Listener) donated $50
- Jen (Listener) donated $50 to her Paparazzi Jewelry Business and $50 to Target.
- The Fearons family donated a bunch of toys for the kids
- Rachel (Listener) donated $20
- Cynthia (Listener) donated $20
The list continues, but these were just a few examples of the kindness from our community, pulling together to help out a local family in need this holiday season!
For the full story about "T" and everything she's fought through to give her children the best life she can give, click below:
If you would like to make a donation to T and her two boys, you can do so by texting “wishes” to 31313 and pledging a donation amount of your choosing. Or by calling 508-994-1071. You can also make a donation online here.
All of our families are pre-selected through the United Way of Greater New Bedford. If you are in need of assistance, please contact the United Way directly.