Fairhaven Electrical Fire Displaces Two
FAIRHAVEN — An electrical fire in Fairhaven on Saturday has displaced two residents and their dogs and caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to a Yale Street home.
Fairhaven Fire Chief Todd Correia said the blaze started in the attic of the one-story house after around 8:15 p.m. Saturday.
The homeowner had attempted to repair the electrical system after experiencing problems earlier that evening, Correia said.
But a short circuit likely led to the flames, causing smoke and crackling noises coming from the attic area near the electrical box.
The residents saw the blaze and called the fire department.
Crews were able to contain the fire to the attic and put out the flames within fifteen minutes, according to the fire chief.
They stayed on the scene for around an hour making sure the fire was out completely.
One resident was taken to St. Luke's Hospital for evaluation for potential smoke inhalation, and has since been discharged.
But Correia said the house sustained an estimated $25,000-$50,000 in damage.
Power service to the house has been cut off and the residents have been displaced.
Their two dogs have been taken in by relatives, according to the chief.
Mattapoisett Fire Department provided assistance during the incident.