Man Hospitalized After Fourth Westport Fire This Week
WESTPORT — It's been a busy week for the Westport Fire Department, after a man was taken to the hospital when firefighters responded to another wood stove-related fire on Sunday night, the second fire that day and the fourth fire in town in the past week.
According to a statement posted to the department's Facebook page Monday morning, fire crews responded to the blaze at a two-story home at 1634-1636 Drift Road on Sunday evening.
Deputy Fire Chief Dan Baldwin, who lives nearby, arrived to find smoke coming from the house and neighbors calling for help and saying the resident was still inside.
But he was found in the yard in need of medical attention, and was taken to the hospital after receiving treatment from emergency first responders, according to the statement.
Firefighters found flames in the creosote-packed chimney pipe and smokestack, the department stated.
They managed to put out the blaze before it caused any structural damage to the home by using a dry-chemical fire extinguisher and chains.
This latest fire comes after firefighters rescued a family dog in a house fire on Sanford Road earlier that same day.
On March 6, fire crews fought another wood stove-related fire at a Tee Lane home.
They also prevented a truck fire from spreading to a nearby house on March 10.
The department noted that proper cleaning and maintenance of heating appliances, particularly wood-burning stoves, is critical for fire prevention and safety.