Fire Breaks Out In Kitchen of New Bedford High School
Classes were delayed this morning at New Bedford High School after an electrical fire broke out in the school's main kitchen.
Fire Chief Michael Gomes tells WBSM News the fire was sparked as cafeteria staff began preparing for their day in the kitchen shortly after 6am. "The fire started in a series of light fixtures on the ceiling. They immediately sounded the alarm and we got on scene, rapidly put the fire out, and isolated the electrical system in that portion of the school," said Gomes.
Gomes says as students began arriving for class, they were escorted into the gymnasium as emergency crews cleared the scene and ventilated the building.
New Bedford School Department spokesman Jonathan Carvalho says classes are proceeding normally this morning after the delay.
The Health Department has been notified of the fire which caused several thousand dollars in damage. No injuries were reported.