Fairhaven Nursing Home A/C Catches Fire
FAIRHAVEN — Fairhaven fire crews this morning responded to a Main Street nursing home after an air conditioning unit on the front porch caught fire, according to a release from the town's fire department.
Just after 3:30 a.m. Monday, firefighters were called to a fire alarm at the Royal of Fairhaven at 184 Main St., the release stated.
They arrived minutes later to find an active fire involving the A/C unit on the front porch of the nursing home.
According to the release, facility staff had attempted to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.
Crews put out the flames using a pre-connected hose line from a fire engine.
The department said the blaze was declared under control at 3:40 a.m., within ten minutes of getting the alarm.
Fairhaven Wiring Inspector Paul Raposo also examined the building to make sure no additional hazards were present, the release stated.
Crews remained at the scene overhauling the porch and getting smoke out of the basement of the home for around an hour, leaving the area just after 4:40 a.m.
No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire was found to be electrical, after wiring from the A/C unit appeared to have shorted out and ignited the wood frame porch.
Damage to the air conditioning unit and the porch is estimated to be between $1,000 and $5,000.