Downtown New Bedford’s 24th Annual 50’s Night Returns This July
If you're from the Greater New Bedford Area you've probably been to a few of Joe Jesus' popular 50's Night held each July in Downtown, New Bedford. This is the 24th year that good ol' Joe is holding the event and like every year before it, it promises to be the biggest one yet. "It just keeps growing every single year!" This year's event will be Thursday, July 16th with festivities started at 5pm.
If you've never been to 50's Night but the idea of it interests you, here's some things to know before you go, according to Joe.
1. It's a Reunion! If you're old enough, you can count on seeing a lot of people from your childhood neighborhood. They make look a bit different now, but they're there!
2. It's for a Good Cause. After the expenses are paid (police details, permits, staging) the remainder of the money is donated to Mercy Meals and More.
3. There's Tons of Music. Joe has 4 live bands and 3 live DJ's set-up throughout the downtown area so no matter where you go, music is sure to follow you.
4. It's Family-Friendly. Even if the event sounds like it's for an older crowd, you would be stunned at how many people turn it into a family affair. Kids get dressed up in 50's attire and ogle over the cars their grandparents once drove.
5. Parking is Easier Than You Think. There are two parking garages downtown and both are free after 5pm. Both the Elm Street Garage and the Zeiterion Garage allow your family to park right in the heart of 50's Night and be a few short steps away from all of the action.
6. The Classic Cars. This is undoubtedly the premier entertainment of the night. Streets are lined with cars from the 50's era with their proud owners right beside them. These car guys (and gals!) love to talk about their machines and have labored over every detail from the inside to the outside. If ever the phrase 'They Don't Make'em Like They Used To' applies, its now.