A Lighter Version Of German Chocolate Cupcakes With Coconut-Pecan Frosting [RECIPE]
How many of you love German Chocolate Cake? It is one of my husband’s favorite desserts. So I thought, “How can I make this cake taste really moist and still have a wonderfully chocolate taste with less calories?” Try the following recipe for yourself and let me know what you think!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, such as Ghirardelli chocolate
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Brush inside of the muffin tins with butter and dust with cake flour. Tap out excess in sink. Combine sifted cake flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine 1 cup whole milk and 1 tablespoon white vinegar and set aside. In a double boiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate. Be careful not to let the temperature get too hot as it will burn easily. Remove chocolate from the heat and let it cool. Cream the butter, Greek yogurt and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Be sure each egg is incorporated before you add another egg. At this point, you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla. Reduce to low then add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with whole milk mixture. Add cooled chocolate to the batter and combine.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, divide batter evenly among the muffin tins. Each cup should be about 3/4 full, but no more. Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes depending on your oven, rotating the tin halfway through. Insert cake tester to see if cupcakes are done. If the tester comes out clean, remove the cupcakes and let them cool for 10 minutes. Loosen the cupcake from the sides of the pan then place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Icing the cupcake is the last step. You can really be creative with this step. Some of your family may like frosting on the top but others may like it in the middle as well as on top of the cupcake. How the cupcake is iced is up to you. Serve immediately.
Yields 24 cupcakes