Career Builder’s List Of Worst Excuses To Skip Work
Every year, Career Builder puts out a list of the most ridiculous excuses for skipping work.
A couple of the ‘gems’ that made the list last year were, ‘All of my doors and windows are glued shut, so I can’t get out of my house,’ and ‘I woke up in a good mood today and I don’t want to ruin it by coming into work.’ Wow. Makes you wonder if these people still have jobs, right? My money is on NO.
I don’t know about you, but I’m the type of person who rarely calls in sick. I feel so guilty not coming to work, that I never take sick days unless I am so incredibly sick that I cannot get out of bed. I can’t even imagine using any of these excuses! Here’s some of the stellar excuses that were actually used by a real person to get out of going to work:
- I caught my uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
- I accidentally got on a plane. (Um…how do you ‘accidentally’ get on a plane?)
- I just put a casserole in the oven.
- I got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.
- I was sitting in the bathroom and my feet and legs fell asleep. When I stood up, I fell and broke my ankle.
I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall at the receiving end of these phone calls! What do you even say in response to these excuses?
Career Builder did some digging and found that about one in five employers say they have fired an employee for calling in sick with a ridiculous excuse. Also, about one in four employers have caught an employee lying about being sick, by checking their social media. Common sense people, if you are playing hooky, don’t tell the truth about what you’re really doing on the internet! To check out the full list of these silly reasons to skip work, check out the story here.