A fire ripped through a single-family home early Saturday in Acushnet, but two occupants and their dog were able to escape unhurt.

The fire at Gammons Road and Perry Hill Road was reported at 3:45am.

Fire Chief Kevin Gallagher says when fire crews arrived, the building was fully involved with flames visible from all areas of the home.

The Chief was thankful there were no injuries. "Both parties were asleep at the time of the fire. The smoke woke up one of them and they were able to evacuate with no injuries. The firefighters had their hands full with fire and ice, and we're very lucky that no one sustained any injuries," said Gallagher.

Ed Pepin-2017

Because there were no hydrants near the fire site, Chief Gallagher says mutual aid was called in to transport water to the scene. "Each of our engines carry a thousand gallons. We also have a two-thousand gallon water tanker, but that wasn't enough. Gallagher said "we had to call in assistance from Rochester and Mattapoisett for water, Fairhaven for their ladder truck and Freetown covered our stations and provided fire protection for Acushnet while our people were putting out the fire."

Firefighters spent more than three hours at the scene. While the fire is under investigation, Gallagher says fire officials suspect a faulty furnace or wood stove as a possible cause.