Rayshond Lewis Arrested for Third Time This Year in New Bedford
NEW BEDFORD – A New Bedford man is arrested for the third time this year.
Police arrested 19-year-old Rayshond Lewis Monday afternoon on a warrant at 235 Rivet Street, according to police department logs. Also arrested was 23-year-old Emmanuel Barros, who was found in possession of a knife.
Lewis is a reputed gang member.
Lewis was arrested in January on gun charges. Bail was set at $5,000 during a March 28 dangerousness hearing. He was let out on bail on April 12, only to be arrested two days later when he and Barros was found in possession of a stolen 2006 BMW.
A spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn said Lewis is being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on May 18.
From the New Bedford Police Department release:
New Bedford Police have taken a wanted criminal and one of the city’s most notorious gang members off the street with the arrest Monday of Rayshond Lewis, 19, of 60 South Second St., New Bedford.
Lewis faces multiple charges, including breaking into the home of his former girlfriend Sunday and attempting to strangle her.
Lewis was charged with home invasion, strangulation, assault and battery on a household member and malicious damage to property after he broke into the north end residence of his 22-year-old ex-girlfriend Sunday and strangled her to the point of losing consciousness.
He damaged property in the apartment before fleeing the scene. He was apprehended Monday by New Bedford Police while in a vehicle and is scheduled for a dangerousness hearing in district court May 18.
Lewis is no stranger to New Bedford Police or to the court system. He is widely considered one of the most violent and feared gang members in the city.
Lewis is believed to be the intended target of a shooting May 4 at Monte Park. He is also a person of interest in numerous recent shootings.
He has made numerous court appearances including a prior gun conviction and assault and battery on a public employee. Prior to Sunday’s arrest, he was out on bail on a pending firearms charge after being found in possession of a loaded .25 caliber Raven Arms pistol in January.
He had been ordered held without bail on the January charges at New Bedford District Court.
Lewis then appeared before Fall River Superior Court for a dangerousness hearing. Despite the urging of the district attorney that he be held without bail, Judge Thomas F. McGuire Jr. allowed Lewis to be released on $5,000 bail, with the condition that he commit no further crimes and not possess a firearm.
The Judge made this ruling despite the urging of the district attorney’s office, which noted that Lewis had a gang affiliation, was prone to commit violent acts and was known to carry firearms.
This decision was concerning to area law enforcement and New Bedford Mayor Jon Mitchell.
“New Bedford Police should be commended for their quick investigative work in getting this dangerous individual off the streets of our city,’’ the mayor said.
“However, I am deeply troubled that the suspect had been released on bail in March despite a history of violent behavior that posed a danger to the community.”
“I am extremely proud of the work and effort of our officers in apprehending this individual,’’ Chief Joseph Cordeiro said. “The significance of this arrest is supported by his propensity for violence. I am equally disappointed with his release in April, as the officers that arrested him in January were concerned that his release could jeopardize public safety. I remain optimistic in our judicial system and that justice will prevail in ensuring the safety of our community. I assure residents that the men and women of the New Bedford Police Department are working diligently to ensure the safety our community.”