GNBTC Holds Annual Youth Mile For Local Students
Over the weekend, Greater New Bedford Track Club hosted their annual Youth Mile, at Andrea McCoy Athletic Field.
Saturday's event had a record 140 youngsters from kindergarten to the eighth grade come out and have a fun-filled day in the sun. Also the New Bedford High School Track and Field Team added to the festivities this year by leading opportunities for the students to try field events.
The top three finishers in each age category are as follows (boys on the left, girls on the right).
Kindergarten and First Grade:
- Adriano Sousa Leah Cabral
- Harrison Cabral Lindsay Summer
- Jahiel Moreno Maggie Martin
Grade 2 and Grade 3
- Sebastian Araujo Teah Galligan
- Andrew Martin Colleen McCarthy
- Alijah Carvalho Diana Ferreira
Grade 4, Grade 5 and Grade 6
- Brendan Nunes Brianna Machado
- Mitchell Taradash Kennedy Bussiere
- Kevin Kiser Kirsten Sumner
Grade 7 and Grade 8
- Jacob Garcia Jenna Hebert
- Marciel Sousa Becky Mentzer
- Austin Macaroco Emma Ripley
Each participant also received a goodie bag, t-shirt and finisher's medal for being part of the event. They also were treated to pizza, ice cream sundaes and a tie-dye section to decorate their shirts. Also, the top three finishers for both males and females, in each age group, were awarded with trophies.
The event, which was funded entirely off of funds and donations raised by the GNBTC and was supported by the New Bedford Parks and Recreation Department, was a huge success.