Dumb Laws In Massachusetts
There are laws that differ from state to state to make sure we follow rules, and live a humane life. When you dig a little deeper, you might find some weird, if not crazy laws that are actually written into state legislature, and I happen to have some of those for Massachusetts.
Take a look at this list from DumbLaws.com. Some of them existed way back in the 1600’s, and are still written into law today.
- It is illegal to give beer to hospital patients.
- Candy may not contain more than 1% of alcohol.
- Shooting ranges may not set up targets that resemble human beings.
- Tattooing and body piercing is illegal. (Repealed in 2000)
- Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.
- At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.
- Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder.
- Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
- Quakers and witches are banned.
- An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
- Bullets may not be used as currency.
- Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.
- Massachusetts liquor stores can only open on Sundays if they are in Berkshire, Essex, Franklin, Middlesex or Worcester counties and are within 10 miles of the Vermont or New Hampshire borders.
- All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.
- Alcoholic drink specials are illegal.
- Hunting on Sundays is prohibited.
- Public boxing matches are outlawed.
- It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.
- A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.
- No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car.