Creepy Genealogy Website You Need To Remove Your Personal Info From
You may not have heard of this website, but they have very likely heard of you…and are posting all your personal information online.
The website FamilyTreeNow might be one of the creepiest thing I’ve come across online.
It calls itself a genealogy website and boasts that it has the “largest collections of genealogy records anywhere, and they’re all 100% free to search!”
But where did they get their info?
When I checked out this website, one I’ve never been to and never even knew existed, I was more than a little creeped out about what they knew about me.
After plugging my name into FamilyTreeNow, I not only found my name and that of my husband, I found that they had the names of my parents, my in-laws, my siblings, their spouses, their spouses parents…the connections went on and on.
"I instantly removed my information from the site…and you can too!"And it wasn’t just names. It was birthdays, every address I had ever lived at, the dates that I lived there…it was scary stuff if you ask me.
I guess I understand wanting to look up family history, but addresses and dates I lived there seemed like it was going too far for my taste.
It seemed more like an excellent website for stalkers than those interested in tracing family roots.
So I instantly removed my information from the site…and you can too!
Here’s how to do it:
- Visit FamilyTreeNow.com HERE
- Under ‘Start Your Journey’ enter your first name, last name and state. Click ‘Search’
- Find yourself on their search. If there is more than one person with your name that lives in your state, you can narrow down your search by looking at the age.
- Click on the account that matches your personal information.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Family Tree Now website (make sure you do this on the Family Tree Now website, not Fun 107) and click on their ‘Privacy’ link.
- From the Family Tree Now privacy page, scroll about 1/3 the way down until you see a blue hyperlink that says ‘Opt Out Here’
- Search your information again. Once you find your page, click ‘Details’ and then a red ‘Opt Out Here’ button will appear.
- Click ‘Opt Out Here’ and you’re done. You’ll be removed from Family Tree Now’s website within 48 hours.