All the SouthCoast High Schools, Ranked from Worst to First
Of the 397 public high schools recently ranked, which do you think tops the SouthCoast?
Niche recently released its 2019 Best Public High Schools ranking, including ranking all the state’s best public, charter and magnet schools (we did not include private schools in our list, but Niche ranked those as well).
According to Niche, the ranking is “based on rigorous analysis of key statistics and millions of reviews from students and parents using data from the U.S. Department of Education. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, and high school ratings.”
The weighted rankings are based on academic grade (60 percent), culture and diversity grade (10 percent), parent and study surveys on overall experience (10 percent), teacher grade (10 percent) and then 2.5 percent each for clubs and activities, health and safety, resources and facilities and sports.
Counting down the high schools across the SouthCoast, from lowest-ranked to highest:
- Fall River Gateway to College, Fall River (no grade)
- Wareham Cooperative Junior/Senior High School, Wareham (no grade)
- Trinity Day Academy, New Bedford (no grade)
- Taunton Alternative High School, Taunton (no grade)
- Whaling City Junior/Senior High School, New Bedford (no grade)
- City on a Hill Charter School, New Bedford (no grade)
- New Bedford High School, New Bedford (C+)
- Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical High School, Taunton (B-)
- Wareham High School, Wareham (B-)
- Global Learning Charter Public School, New Bedford (B-)
- Upper Cape Regional Technical High School, Bourne (B-) *Note: we included UCT because Wareham students attend there
- Bristol-County Agricultural High School, Dighton (B-)
- BMC Durfee High School, Fall River (B)
- Westport High School, Westport (B)
- Greater New Bedford Vocational Technical High School, New Bedford (B)
- Middleboro High School, Middleboro (B)
- Joseph Case High School, Swansea (B)
- Taunton High School, Taunton (B)
- Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School, Fall River (B)
- Dighton-Rehoboth High School, North Dighton (B)
- Old Colony Regional Vocational Technical High School, Rochester (B+)
- Seekonk High School, Seekonk (B+)
- Dartmouth High School, Dartmouth (B+)
- Fairhaven High School, Fairhaven (B+)
- Apponequet High School, Lakeville (B+)
- Somerset Berkley High School, Somerset (A-)
- Old Rochester Regional High School, Mattapoisett (A-)
Overall, only 36 public high schools earned an A+ grade.
In case you were wondering, the top overall public high school in Massachusetts, according to Niche, is the Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science in Worcester. And that school only has 98 students, so we can’t accuse them of stuffing the ballot box.