7 Things You Didn’t Know About New Bedford’s Oldest Bar
The oldest bar in New Bedford is the Wamsutta Club! The Wamsutta Club is a members only bar and eatery but anyone can become a member.
- The Wamsutta Club was originally founded for the baseball team, The Wamutta’s in 1866, they gained licensing in 1932. They were also the first baseball club in New Bedford!
- The Wamsutta’s would play against local teams from Cape Cod and surrounding towns in the game “rounders” or what we call baseball now.
- The club was formed of mostly Harvard graduates.
- Most of the clubs members started with creating the businesses in downtown New Bedford,
- Downstairs in the club is a classically styled bar and restaurant with all the vintage photos of the original Wamsutta baseball team players.
- No beer is served on tap from the bar.\
- ANYONE can become a member for about $1,500 per year.